There are many users who want to access their Gmail account in Exchange Server Mailbox and it is becoming a difficult task also. As there isn’t any direct manual way to export Gmail items to Exchange Server Mailbox, so we have to go for some automated procedures to move the data of a Gmail account to the mailbox of MS Exchange Server. In this blog, we will be going to discuss the manual as well as one of the best solutions for Gmail Migration to Exchange Server Mailbox.
Why to Move Gmail Data to Microsoft Exchange Server Mailbox
There are several reasons that a user wants to transfer Gmail mails or data to Exchange Server Mailbox such as:
- if a user wants to move his/her Gmail emails to the on-premise account.
- when a user wants to access the mailbox of a Gmail account on the Exchange Server mailbox.
- when a .pst file needs to be accessed in the Exchange Server (Exchange Management Console)
Before going further let us discuss some user queries, which will make the scenario of Gmail to Exchange Migration more clear.
User Queries to Migrate Gmail Mailbox to Exchange Server
" One of my friends want to export Gmail mailboxes into Exchange 2010, he wants to transfer all the emails, contacts, and calendars. Someone suggested him to use the transporter suite, but we found that it does not work with Exchange 2010 and he can’t bring up a secondary Exchange 2007 server. Is there any other way to move Gmail mailboxes to Microsoft Exchange Server?"
" Hi, we have a client who is acquired with an MS Exchange server of a company. He wants to do Gmail to Exchange migration but, didn’t get any documentation after this migration and asked us for the solution. Now, we want to configure MS Outlook IMAP/GMAIL and to export to an archive PST file. Can anyone help?"
"There are several large sized Gmail mailboxes hosted at the Google server. I want to install Microsoft Exchange Server 2010 and then export all the mailboxes to it. To copy and paste each MS Outlook email manually would be very lengthy and time-consuming. Is there any automated solution to migrate Gmail mailboxes to Exchange 2010 automatically?"
Steps to Migrate Gmail Data to MS Exchange Server Mailbox
Whether you use the standard Gmail accounts or a Gmail domain, you can easily download your Gmail email to an Exchange Server. A protocol POP3, supported by Google Gmail which allows email downloaders to fetch emails from a Gmail account.
You can migrate your Gmail Emails and the other items to On-Premise Exchange Server via 2 methods i.e first exporting Gmail mailbox to PST format and then importing that PST file into Exchange Server Mailbox. This can be done manually as well as from the automated solutions also.
Manual Way to Export Gmail Items to Exchange Server Mailbox
There are two steps to export Gmail account data to Exchnage Server:
Step 1. Export Gmail Emails to PST
Sync Gmail account with MS Outlook
Configure Gmail account in Microsoft Outlook and a PST file will automatically created at one of the following path:
- drive:\Users\\My Documents\Outlook Files
Step 2. Import Outlook PST to Exchange Server Mailbox
Move PST files in MS Exchange Server mailbox using PS Commands
Importing an Outlook PST File into Exchange Server Mailbox can be frequently performed by an Exchange Administrator. So to transfer a PST file you can use Power-Shell command as given below:
Before executing import command it is required to assign some rights to the mailbox. So, let us discuss how to assign the rights to a mailbox.
Note: Even the Administrator’s mailbox does not have the permission to import a file.
ManagementRoleAssignment –Role “Mailbox Import Export” –User_Name
The above command is to assign the import/export role to a single mailbox only. To assign this import/export role to more than one mailbox you have to create a group and then add the required mailboxes in that group.
To create a group use the command given below:
New-ManagementRoleAssignment -Role “Mailbox Import Export” -SecurityGroup “MSExchangeGroup”
Now, to Import PST file in the mailbox of Exchange Server, use the PS Commands given below:
Use New-MailboxImportRequest to began the exchange import process, on a single mailbox you can create more than one mailbox import request. It is required to specify a unique name for each import request. Microsoft Exchange generates up to 10 unique names automatically for every import request. To add more than 10 import requests you have to specify the unique names.
To collect the complete data to the current mailbox folder structure from the source folder:
New-MailboxImportRequest -Mailbox mack -FilePath \\PR-HG05\PST\user.pst
New to import pst into the targeted folder in the MS Exchange 2013 mailbox run the command given below:
New-MailboxImportRequest -Mailbox user -FilePath \\PR-HG05\PST\user.pst -TargetRootFolder “Old_mail” -IncludeFolders “#Inbox#”
Any folder can be selected as the destination folder to import Outlook PST and the user can view the status report (in percentage) by executing the below command:
Get-MailboxImportRequest | Get-MailboxImportRequestStatistics
Limitations with Manual Methods
After moving Gmail data to Exchange Server Mailbox, we found that these manual methods have some drawbacks also such as:
- These methods are a bit lenghty and time-consuming.
- The PowerShell Command to import Outlook data file (.pst) to Exchange Server can’t import the file more than 2 GB.
- The command does not work for 64-bit client machine, it is required have 32-bit client machine with the Exchange Management Tools installed as this requirement comes from a dependency with the MS Outlook client.
- One must be aware about the technalities to run the PowerShell commands.
Automated Solution to Export Gmail Items to Exchange Server Mailbox
There are 2 steps to migrate emails of Gmail account to mailbox of MS Exchange Server. First is exporting the Gmail mailbox to Outlook data file format (.pst) and then importing that output file in mailbox of Exchange Server.
Step 1. Gmail Backup Tool: A Solution to Save Gmail Data to PST Format
First, save the Gmail account data into the Outlook PST file format using one of the best software to save Gmail Mailbox into PST format. This tool comes up with several features such as:
- It takes the backup of all the emails, contacts, calendars & documents of the Gmail account.
- The application saves the Gmail mailbox of single as well as of multiple user accounts.
- One can save the space from the server using Delete After Download Option.
- The utility provides an option to resume the interrupted backup also.
- The tool also supports the backup to Outlook, Apple Mail, Windows Live Mail,etc.
- Only Free Gmail Account data can be archived by the software & it doesn’t save the Gmail Credentials of the user.
Step 2. Import Outlook PST to Exchange Server Mailbox via Exchange Import Tool
Now, after getting the data of Gmail account in PST file import the file in Exchange Server using Exchange Import Software. This program exports Outlook PST to Exchange Server Mailbox.
- The tool search and import Outlook PST file into Exchange Server mailbox.
- It move the files within the network & from the selected machines also.
- It is required to have the Server Domain Credentials to search an Outlook PST File on the Local Network.
- The utility can export selective PST files also instead of migrating all the files.
The above article discussed the solution to migrate Gmail data to Exchange Server Mailbox with manual as well as automated ways. We have also discussed the reasons for moving Gmail emails to MS Exchange Server. From the above data, it can be concluded that one can go for automated solutions instead of the manual ways because of some limitations of the manual methods to export Gmail items to Exchange Server mailbox.