In the previous blog we learnt how to perform Metadata Cleanup using Command Prompt. To know more about the first part please click here.
In this blog we will be learning how to perform Metadata Cleanup using GUI. The option is available only for Windows Server 2008 Domains and Above.
The account should be a member of Domain Admins Group and Enterprise Admins Group.
Two Domain Controllers : DC1 and DC2.
Forest Functional Level : Windows Server 2008 R2.
DC1 – Windows Server 2008 R2 (RDC)
DC2 – Windows Server 2012 (ADC)
Site Name : Default-First-Site-Name
Figure 1.1 : Highlighted DC1 which is crashed
Before we perform the Metadata cleanup. FSMO Roles has to be moved to DC2.
Figure 1.2 : FSMO Role Owner
Figure 1.3 : Number of DC.
In figure 1.3 it will list both Active and Crashed DC. Since this data is pulled from Metadata.
Figure 1.4 : Select Delete.
Since we have confirmed the FSMO Role Owner. It is safe to delete the Active Directory Object using Active Directory Users and Computers.
Figure 1.5 : Warning.
Select Yes post confirming if this is for deletion.
Figure 1.6 : Select the checkbox.
In figure 1.6 it says “This Domain Controller is permanently offline and can no longer be demoted using the Active Directory Domain Services Installation Wizard (DCPROMO)”
Figure 1.7 : Global Catalog Warning
Figure 1.8 : DC1 is deleted.
In figure 1.8 DC1 is not deleted. Now open DS Sites and Services and Select the following information as shown below.
Figure 1.9 : DS Sites and Services
In figure 1.9 we have to right click server name and select Delete as shown above.
Figure 1.10 : Click Yes
Figure 1.11 : DC1 is completely removed.
Now that we have removed the server object from both Active Directory Users and Computers and DS Sites and Services.
Its time to remove entries from DNS as well.
Open DNS MGMT and follow the steps listed here.
Figure 1.12 : DNS Entries for DC1.
In figure 1.12 we have selected objects in forward lookup Zones. We have to follow the same in reverse lookup zones.
Figure 1.13 : Properties of MSEXCHANGETEAM.IN.
In figure 1.13 select the name servers tab and remove the stale entries as shown above.
Confirming whether it worked
Figure 1.14 : Nslookup Command Output
Nslookup command which is able to locate only DC2.
Figure 1.15 : NETDOM QUERY DC
Netdom query DC is able to list only one DC – DC2
Figure 1.16 : NLTEST /DSGETSITE
Able to locate site name successfully.
Figure 1.17 : NLTEST /DCLIST:MSEXCHANGETEAM.IN
Able to locate DC2 successfully.
Figure 1.18 : NLTEST /DSGETDC
We have successfully removed DC1 from our network.
Note : The above scenario works best with Windows Server 2008 and later network.
MSEXCHANGETEAM | Ideas That Clicks